A strong digital brand can help you find work, so make yours effective.
Employers and recruiters are increasingly researching candidates online to help decide if they are suitable. You therefore need to make sure you have a strong and positive digital presence.
Social media expert Lincoln Coutts gave a presentation about developing your personal brand online at the recent OA Employment Symposium in York. Here is Lincoln’s advice on creating an effective brand.
What is a personal brand?
“Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room.” Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder.
- It is the perception that you create when people meet you
- It is based on more than your skills and experience
- It reflects the way that you dress.
How to develop your brand
Organisations invest large amounts of time and money to create a winning brand, which evokes certain perceptions within seconds. To achieve the same effect, you must:
- Market yourself in a committed and consistent manner
- Build a positive image
- Target your brand
- Be authentic.
Define your brand
- What point do you want to make?
- What message do you wat to deliver?
- What personality do you want to project?
Take inspiration from those who are considered the benchmark in your field.
Final things to consider
- Start thinking of yourself as a brand, and make it appealing to employers and recruiters
- Audit your online presence – Google yourself and check that you are happy with what employers and recruiters can see
- Find ways to produce value
- Have purpose in what you share online.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Oscar Wilde.
The OA has joined with Lincoln to deliver a series of free online videos on using LinkedIn. Sign up now.