On demobilisation after the First World War hundreds of former officers found themselves in difficulties, unable to find a job, and sometimes with no money, shelter or means of support. Many were suffering from wounds.
Earl and Countess Haig, supported by Admiral of the Fleet Earl Beatty and Marshal of the Royal Air Force Viscount Trenchard and the City of London, organised a highly successful public subscription for these Officers. This led them to found the Officers’ Association (OA) in 1920: the Association received a Royal Charter in 1921.
From its inception the OA has had very close links with The Royal British Legion (TRBL). In 1922 the OA handed its fund raising organisation over to TRBL to form the basis of the Poppy Appeal and it has sometimes been known as The Officers’ Branch of TRBL. In order not to compete with TRBL and other Service Charities, the OA does not raise funds in public collections, but supports the Poppy Appeal and receives 7.5% of the Annual Poppy Appeal street collection to support its work.
Throughout its existence the OA has supported Officers and their dependants in many ways, but it has consistently addressed, as a priority, helping officers find employment, providing advice and, in cases of need, financial support.
While for many years the OA ran a residential home, in 2011 Huntly was closed owing to the changing requirement for residential care