Other Organisations Offering Accommodation

Abbeyfield Society is one of the largest charities providing housing, support and care for the elderly. Founded in 1956 by Major Richard Carr-Gomm, Abbeyfield now has a wide range of housing supporting people at different stages of their life. This includes over 80 registered residential care homes, providing accommodation, support and friendship for 8000 residents. For further information please contact 01727 857536.

The Anchor Trust has different schemes in most localities throughout England. For further information on Anchor retirement housing please ring 0808 271 3348

ABF The Soldiers Charity has small number of nominations which may be available to ex-Army Officers. Further details are available by calling 0845 241 4820 or via email.

Elizabeth Finn Homes Ltd provides high quality residential and nursing home care. The Homes are owned by Elizabeth Finn Care, a registered charity. There are several residential and nursing homes around the UK. Contact them on 0208 834 9200.

Girlings Retirement Rentals is a private housing organisation which has links with the Royal British Legion. It offers a wide selection of retirement properties across the country to rent mainly on assured tenancies and includes some properties to purchase. Some of the items included in the rentals are, on Site management, 24 Hour emergency cover, and maintenance of communal areas and buildings insurance. The range of properties is primarily apartments though there are some developments with small cottages and bungalows and also apartments in stately homes. All properties are unfurnished (except for carpets, curtains) For further information and details of developments, the properties available in UK and Spain, and rents please contact by calling 01823 346 800 / Freephone: 0800 525 184.

Habinteg Housing Association is a leading national provider of affordable accessible homes, with a focus on housing disabled people in inclusive housing schemes. They have a range of accommodation options to suit different family sizes with all their properties built to be accessible and allow easy adaptation where necessary with 25% of properties built to wheelchair standard. They offer an on-site support service to disabled and older people in order that their residents can live independently. Habinteg have a range of housing schemes in different parts of the UK and can also offer housing advice. For further detail, contact them on 0207 822 8700.

The Hermitage Almshouses Trust consists of 9 one-storey, self contained bungalows and a Wardens house. There are 7 bungalows for married couples and 2 for single people. There is also a double guest bedroom which may be used by residents’ relatives and friends. Each house has a sitting room, a bedroom and in some, an alcove which can be used for dining or as extra bedroom space, a kitchen, bathroom and garden store. Gardeners can be arranged if desired. All are unfurnished. Central heating and hot water are supplied free. A warden and his wife are there to help, but in case of emergencies there is a central alarm system. Both cats and dogs are accepted but should not be replaced. Contact them on 01488 670281

Housing & Care 21 is a major provider of housing, care and support services for older people and a driving force in the development of dementia services, offering a range of housing options to suit individual needs and have more than 16,000 properties across England. As well as homes for rent, many of their properties can be purchased, on either a shared ownership or leasehold basis. They welcome all applicants over the age of 60, regardless of whether you rent or own your present home, are retired or still working part-time. On a small selection of courts the age criteria has been reduced so people aged 55 will also be considered. For further information please call their Customer Services Helpline on 0845 606 6363.

Jephson Housing Association Group owns and manages over 16,000 affordable homes for older people and housing for people with support needs throughout England. There is a wide range of provision from homes to rent to special projects and shared housing. You can contact them on 01926 339 311

Morden College is an independent charity based in Blackheath in London and offers accommodation to help older people with independent living, supported living or a residential care home with nursing. Applicants must have held a position of responsibility in a profession, trade or commerce and demonstrate need for assistance. For further information contact them on 020 8463 8330

The National Benevolent Institution is a national charity dedicated to the care of retired and elderly ladies and gentlemen, and particularly to those on low incomes. It was founded by Peter Hervé nearly 200 years ago. Peter Hervé House (Tetbury, Gloucestershire) is a new building with two wings containing 9 apartments; eight with one single bedroom and one with two single bedrooms. Lenox House is on the same site as Peter Hervé and is an old coach house converted into two apartments (1 bedroom). The Tapestries (Old Windsor, Berkshire) provides single occupancy apartments exclusively for retired ladies. House Manager is resident on site. Call them on 01666 505500 for details.

Orbit Housing Association has a large number of different types of purpose built housing for the elderly throughout the United Kingdom. For further information call them on 024 7643 8000

Sir Robert Geffery’s Trust has 2 homes. One in Hook, the other in Basingstoke for retired people on low incomes. Hook consists of 28 single and 21 double self contained flats in 2 storey buildings, the main block and 2 separate blocks. Basingstoke has 13 single and 36 double flats. Each flat has a sitting-room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. Electric cookers, fridges and kitchen units are provided. The flats are unfurnished but have fitted cupboards and fitted carpets throughout. Cats and dogs are not accepted. Contact them on 020 7776 2304

The Corporation of Trinity House has 20 Almshouses at Walmer in Kent for Merchant Naval Officers, but open to ex-Royal Naval Officers and their dependants. As the accommodation consists of selfcontained bungalow residents must be able to look after themselves. For further details contact: 0207 481 6900

The Whitley Homes Trust, Whiteley Village is a complete village set in its own grounds of 240 acres of Surrey woodland. There is wide range of accommodation and the community has a Village Hall, two churches, a shop and Post Office, a launderette, hairdresser, library, swimming pool and social club. There are many activities available. Full residential and nursing care is also available through the Care Centre. For further details Contact: 01932 82583

The Virdian group accommodation consists of various types of property in the London area, the west and east Midlands and Sussex. As well as providing elderly care homes, they also have supported and specialist care homes. Some schemes have a resident Scheme manager. They cater for men, women and married couples. Some of the housing can now cater for wheelchairs. Contact them on 0330 123 0220 376

We also provide information on several voluntary and private homes and organisations, which may also be useful in your search. Here, you’ll find information on care from organisations such as Marie Curie cancer care and the Royal National Institute of the Blind.

Clare Park is a community for active retired people, set in the countryside on the Surrey / Hampshire border close to the ancient village of Crondall and the historic market town of Farnham and can provide 24-hour support. You can contact them on 01252 850681.