The Officers’ Association (OA) as data controller will collect, use and store (‘process’) your information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016/679 and any relevant UK legislation.
The Officers’ Association will only process the data you give in the registration form and any further information you provide under our legitimate interest of providing the employment services you are seeking and in order to provide the services you request. We will only contact you about any third party services with your consent.
If you are using the OA Employment App
When you click on this app, the app store you have used, Apple or Google, will receive personal electronic data which identify you and your location; their privacy policies are at:
Once you have downloaded the app, you will be invited to log in or register. You will only be able to log in if you have registered with the Officers’ Association (OA). You can register via our website or from the app.
What data and why?
When you register you will be asked for:
Date of birth
This helps us to understand your profile.
An automatic e-mail will be sent to this address to acknowledge your registration. It will be your user name to access the OA website and app.
We will use this address:
- To confirm any event or service you book online and to follow up on any appointments you may make with us or to seek feedback on our services.
- To let you know about the Employment Services we offer, and any third party services, according to the preferences you register with us.
- To prompt you every 12 months to update your profile and to check you still want to have access to our services.
- To check with you on your date of discharge and 3 months later whether you have found employment and still need our services.
- If you want to make use of the OA Network Contact List (volunteers from the veteran community now in civilian employment), we will use this address to allow people on the list to get in touch with you. More information about the Network Contact list and the privacy terms can be found on the OA website.
- Once you are in employment, to ask you if you are happy to become a Network Contact.
This allows us to identify regional needs and provide appropriate services where we identify demand.
Mobile telephone number
This will only be used to contact you about the event or service to which you have subscribed.
This allows us to verify your identity and acts as your personal identifier in contacts with us, together with your e-mail address.
Service, rank, branch, status, joining and discharge date
These details will inform us about your military background and allow us to offer appropriate services to you.
This will ensure we only send you e-mails you want. You may change these preferences at any time.
Dropdown boxes on how you heard about the OA
This will help our research into how best to reach the maximum number of Service leavers.
CV and Career Consultation
You may subsequently be asked to provide a CV. A written record will be made of any CV review or career consultation and any relevant information given to the Employment Services Co-ordinators; these records, too, will only be used for the provision of employment services. We will only pass your CV to any third party with your consent.
We may aggregate any of the above information and use it without your name to shape our services and to inform our research and reporting to ensure we are meeting our charitable purpose.
If you enter into a coaching contract with an OA consultant they will access the information you have provided; the information supplied in the course of the coaching will be handled under the terms of that contract.
How we handle your data
We send out largescale e-mailings (according to registered preferences) using dotmailer; their privacy information can be found at https://www.dotmailer.com/about-us/trust/.
Callidus Cloud, Financial Force, LogMeIn and dotmailer are US companies which have self certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield and introduced standard contractual clauses to comply with the GDPR and to protect your data. Salesforce, Callidus Cloud and dotmailer will store your data in Europe, but, given the global nature of their activities, we cannot guarantee that they will not process your data outside the European Economic Area.
Other data processors used to support the OA’s administrative and technological functions are based in the UK.
The OA will not share your personal data with any other third party without your consent, subject to any statutory or legal obligations.
We will retain your data electronically for 5 years from registration, unless you ask us to retain it for longer. You may, however, ask to be removed from our database at any time and for us to stop processing your data. All paper copies of CVs and notes made during career consultations are stored securely and, once recorded electronically, deleted securely. Please inform us if you notice any inaccuracies in the data we hold on you or if anything needs updating. If you wish to make any changes to your data or to be removed from the list, please contact the OA at firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 0117 906 3580.
You have the right to:
- Receive a copy of the personal data we hold on you.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Object to direct marketing.
- Have corrected or deleted any errors in your personal data
- Ask that your data be erased subject to any statutory or legal requirements placed on the data controller.
- Ask that the processing of your data be restricted, if you disagree about the accuracy of the data the controller holds or you object to the controller’s intention to erase your data.
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of data protection legislation.
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or 0303 123 1113.
If you have any queries about this notice or your rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer, Susie Bamforth, on 07783 169718, or email@example.com.